Toronto is the largest city in Canada and the provincial capital of Ontario. It is located in Southern Ontario on the northwestern shore of Lake Ontario. A relatively modern city, Toronto's history dates back to the late 18th century, when its land was first purchased by the British Crown from the Mississaugas of the New Credit. The settlement was later established as the Town of York and proclaimed as the new capital of Upper Canada by its lieutenant governor, John Graves Simcoe. In 1834, York was incorporated as a city andrenamed to its present name. The city was ransacked in the Battle of York during the War of 1812 and damaged in two great fires in 1849 and in 1904. Since its incorporation, Toronto has repeatedly expanded its borders through amalgamation with surrounding municipalities, most recently in 1998. (from Wikipedia)
The Toronto Zoo is located in Ontario, Canada. It opened August 15, 1974 as the Metropolitan Toronto Zoo and is owned by the City of Toronto; the word "Metropolitan" was dropped from its name when the cities of the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto were amalgamated to form the present-day city of Toronto in 1998. The zoo is located near the Rouge River, along the western border ofRouge Park in city's east end former borough of Scarborough.
Encompassing 287 hectares (710 acres), the Toronto Zoo is the largest zoo in Canada. It is divided into seven zoogeographic regions: Indo-Malaya, Africa, Americas, Tundra Trek, Australasia, Eurasia and the Canadian Domain. Some animals are displayed indoors in tropical pavilions and outdoors in what would be their naturalistic environments, with viewing at many levels. It also has areas such as the Kids Zoo, Waterside Theatre and Splash Island. The zoo is currently home to over 5,000 animals (including invertebrates and fish) representing over 450 species. (from Wikipedia)
Formerly known as the Woodbridge Expansion Area Open Space, the 62-acre Elder’s Mills Nature Reserve is located at 5770 Rutherford Road. The McCallum Trail which traverses the nature reserve was named to commemorate the McCallum family, early settlers who farmed the area for 80 years, beginning in 1858.
The reserve includes a section of the main Humber River, wetlands, mature forest tracts, a pedestrian bridge, viewing platforms and a storm water management pond. (from ecoGTA.ca)
Colonel Samuel Smith Park is one of Toronto's newest and largest waterfront parks. It is located at the south end of Kipling Avenue, in the community of New Toronto near its border with Long Branch. Much of the park was created from lake fill in front of the former Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital and the RL Clark Filtration Plant. The waterfront lakefill area is mainly naturalized with grasses, shrubs and small trees. The shoreline is a combination of rocky headlands, cobble beaches and protected wetland. This blends further north into the mature trees and mowed lawns of the former hospital grounds.
The result is a park that is popular for a variety of passive recreational activities including walking, cycling, and fishing. The diversity and quality of habitats has earned the park a reputation as one of the premier birding locations in the city. (from Citizens Concerned About the Future of the Etobicoke Waterfront)
Claireville Conservation Area is a large, relatively dense forested retreat in the southeast corner of Brampton. Flowing through this historic conservation area is the West Humber River. In the early 1800s, this river powered the McVean Grist Mill, run by Alexander McVean who may have been the first settler in the Toronto Gore Township. The mill no longer remains, as it was destroyed by fire in 1850. But you can still see the remains of an open canal flume.
The Claireville Conservation Area, one of the largest tracts of land owned by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), is unique. It was acquired in 1957 to construct a flood control dam and reservoir after the destruction caused by Hurricane Hazel. The park is a 848 hectare (2,100 acre) parcel of conservation land located on the west branch of the Humber River in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. (from Wikipedia)